Thursday, August 5, 2010

It's My Birthday!

The whole country celebrated today! Ok, maybe not specifically for the day of my birth but celebrations there were. President Kibaki announced that the new constitution was voted in successfully and there were celebrations all over town. We even passed an impromptu parade of motorbikes on the way home from work today. We asked Mama Rose about her voting experience. She said that she's never voted before because she never believed in someone enough to fight the crowds to vote but felt that this vote really mattered and she wanted to be a part of it. She showed us her finger that marks you've voted. You can see the black mark on her left pinkie. This keeps anyone from voting twice. Whatever happened to the "I Voted" stickers? It was quite exciting to watch Kenyan history in the making. It really is a great day!


So, Denise made some yummy scrambled eggs and toast for my birthday breakfast. Thanks, Denise! Here we are enjoying our Milo (chocolate malt drink).

Work was busy and quite routine but after work we went to Mikaye, a really great Kenyan restaurant that Andi & Aaron introduced me to in November. I got the Tilapia (this time with my camera handy) which was oh so delicious. We picked up some ice cream and cake on the way home for the restaurant and will spend the rest of the night chilling at home. Overall, it's been a great birthday! Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday friends! I have been following your blog. Sounds like you are having a lot of "one-in-a-lifetime" experiences. Thanks for letting me see a part of it! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Happy Birthday! You look great, by the way!! Love the looooong hair! :) Glad it was a good day! Tell everyone hello from me! Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete