Sunday, July 7, 2013

June

I'm determined to catch up so sit tight, this could get long. The last month has been super busy with with visitors. Gwen came the second week of June. Although spending a lot of time in Europe (her mother is French) she had never been to London, so I had the pleasure of introducing them.

After working in the London office on Friday we went to see the crown jewels in the Tower of London and then wandered across Tower Bridge, past London Bridge to The Globe, and walked across the Millenium bridge to end at St Paul's Cathedral. Our little feet were so tired but we then had to rush to catch Les Mis. I had been dreaming of seeing Les Mis in London for some time and although it was amazing I really missed Alfie Boe :(

The next day we woke up and went straight to Borough Market where we ate yummy bread, cheese, fresh juice and...oysters. This was a first for me (oysters) and I'm still not sure how I feel about them.





We then explored Parliament Square, Trafalgar Square, and the National Gallery (my fav). After eating the rest of our goods from Borough Market on the steps of the National Gallery we continued on our mini walking marathon to see Buckingham Palace, Green Park, Fortnam & Masons and Harrods. Sadly, Gwen hopped on a plane the next day to head back to Geneva but it was so fun to have her visit!


Kayce came to visit later that week. Although I had to work while she was here we made the most of the evenings and weekends. The second night she was here we went to see Once and I fell even more in love with this music...and was just loving all the Czech.

That weekend we headed for Amsterdam. I saw this deal for a 'Rail&Sail' package from London to Amsterdam. This consisted of a 2 hour train ride+8 hour boat ride+another 1.5 hour train ride. Sounds fun, right? Well, as much as I love trains and boats, I was pretty exhausted of both by the end of the day.


That night we went to the Van Gogh museum which was open late for the weekend. They had an awesome DJ and the art was just incredible. This was prob one of my favorite things we did all weekend.

Saturday morning we went straight to see the Anne Frank house because I had heard that the lines get pretty crazy. Although the line was pretty long, it wasn't the worst part. It was rainy and cold and oh so windy. I quickly bought an umbrella off a street vendor. It lasted me 5 min before it blew inside-out. This super nice couple next to me tried to help me fix it but the umbrella had none of it. So I let it sit there all mangled above my head...better some cover than none, I thought. Then this nice man from the museum came out to lend a few umbrellas to people standing in line. When he saw my destroyed umbrella he handed me one. This one was much sturdier and showed promise. Indeed it was sturdier, it lasted a whole 6 min before flipping inside-out by the wind. I felt terrible. But I looked around and found comfort in the fact that I wasn't the only one who had destroyed the museum's umbrellas. We eventually made it inside and I loved being able to see this house that I read about so many years ago and see the diary itself.
 

Afterward we wandered through the city, took a boat tour of the canals and just enjoyed the sun that finally decided to grace us. I have to admit that I wasn't sure how much I'd like Amsterdam but I was pleasantly surprised to find it quite magical.









The next Friday Lauren and I went to see The Taming of the Shrew at the Globe. This is one of my favorite plays and the weather was perfect. It was the longest day of the year so we also had daylight through the whole play. I loved it so much that I don't think I'll ever go back. I just can't imagine ever topping it.

The next week Meggan came for a few days. She really wanted to go to Bath and Stonehenge so we rented a car and went out. Although I had already seen both I was happy to go back with the prospect of nicer weather. It didn't disappoint. We had a great time wandering through Bath and this time Stonehenge was still open when I got there so I finally got to take a closer look.





Isn't England just beautiful??

No comments:

Post a Comment