Friday, September 20, 2013

Norway


I had this crazy notion to skip town for my birthday. Now that I think of it, who would ever want to skip town when that town is London? Anyway, the destination was Norway. I've been curious about Norway for some time now and decided to check it out. They do this thing called 'Norway in a Nutshell' where you race around the country in 24-48 hours. Sounded perfect for a girl with a dwindling number of vacation days. I decided to skip Oslo this time around and just explore Bergen and Voss.

This was my weekend:
Flight from London to Bergen
Train from Bergen to Voss
(sleep)
Bus from Voss to Gudvangen
Boat through fjords from Gudvangen to Flam
Kayaking the fjords in Flam
Train from Flam to Bergen
(sleep)
Flight from Bergen to London
(crash)


(my hotel in Voss)


(cruising the fjords)

Here's my assessment...in a nutshell. Norway is beautiful and cold and rainy. I didn't have much room to take anything home with me so I splurged on yummy food and some home magazines. I love Scandanavian design so they made me sufficiently happy. For my birthday meal I had 'clam chowder' which was not really clam chowder at all. It was some kind of delicious cauliflower concoction with half a lobster nestled in it. It was DIVINE. And even though it was freezing I bought myself an ice cream cone because it felt like the right thing to do on one's birthday.

Overall it was a great trip but I was sure glad to get back to London.


 (train from Flam)

No comments:

Post a Comment