Saturday, July 17, 2010

Old Town

Today I went to the airport to pick up a new intern for Yehu. Her name is Denise and she will only be here for a short 3 weeks. She came in around 9:30am so we decided to make the most of the day and headed back to town after dropping off her things. I threw caution to the wind and snapped as many pictures as I could.

Our first stop was at Mombasa's famous tusks. There's really nothing spectacular about these guys but they are somewhat of an icon here, so we of course did what every good tourist should...ran back and forth through traffic to get some shots of us standing next to them.

We passed by this incredible hotel (below). Much too rich for my budget but it didn't stop me from drooling as I took this shot.

Our next stop was Fort Jesus. I went inside last Nov when I came to visit Andi & Aaron. Today we both decided to just walk around and enjoy the view. It's still pretty impressive from the outside, don't you think?

Just outside the fort is a great place to sit and enjoy the ocean view. I loved watching the people as much as the scenery. This guy was one of my favorites.

A short walk from Fort Jesus is Old Town (below). The streets are lined with incredible buildings and cute shops. Pull out your bartering skills and your best poker face, these shop owners are pros.


A door (among many) that I just fell in love with.


And speaking of love...here's a man after my own heart. Can I just say how glad I am for the invention of the steam iron? This guy's old school. I wish I had a better shot of his iron but I was a bit shy to ask him to interrupt his work just so that I could have a pic. Ah well.

1 comment:

  1. The guy walking in front of the door looks like a missionary. Except no companion.

    ReplyDelete