Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Show & Tell

I decided to post another round of pictures because it was so hard to narrow them down last time. Besides, I know that most of you would rather see pictures than read my boring narrative. So sit back, relax and enjoy the 'slide' show.

First, there's this really cool tin Coca-cola wall that we sometimes drive by in the matatus on the way to town. I got this shot by sticking my hand out the window and hoping for the best. I kinda liked the result.

Anyone want a fresh banana?

Perhaps you prefer red bananas...

There are so many mosques here. Each one is so unique and incredible in its own right.

The Muslim prayer caps are equally amazing. They come in all sorts of colors and patterns. In November Andi and I met a vendor who was pretty excited about our interest in his hats. He went into the alley behind his stand and pulled out a thick metal chest with a huge padlock. Inside were the most beautiful handmade prayer caps I could have ever imagined. He said one had taken 6 months to make so far and it was still unfinished. Amazing! Anyway, I have to be careful that I don't give the wrong impression when I often find myself staring at the men's hats.


And this is the view from the back of our office. They call the area the alligator slums and off in the distance you can see the ocean. It's beautiful and humbling altogether.


2 comments:

  1. So much green! It is really interesting. LOVE the photos! Keep them coming. Only a few weeks left!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool pics!! I love the coke wall one. Miss you lots!!

    ReplyDelete