Friday, April 16, 2010

Arrived

I finally made it to Mombasa! My trip took me from Salt Lake to Seattle to Amsterdam to Nairobi to Mombasa. I didn't hear about the volcanic eruption in Iceland until this morning. It is a miracle I made it through Ambsterdam yesterday. However, when I arrived in Nairobi I was told my luggage never left Seattle. And because flights have been canceled due to the eruption, they won't be coming for a couple of days. Deep breath. No big deal, I say. Worse things have happened.

So, I took my last flight to Mombasa and walked out of the terminal but found no one waiting for me. This would be one of those worse things I was thinking of. I found an airport worker who let me use their phone. I tried calling my friend who is living in Mombasa right now but the number didn't work. It was midnight by this time so I decided to just wait at the airport until morning and take a taxi into the office. I sat down and started reading to pass the time. Finally a guy named Sam came walking up and asked if my name was Melinda. Yes, yes it is! So, I got to sleep on a bed last night instead of in the wonderful blue cafe chair I had found myself.

I am excited for the next 4 months. I've already braced myself to expect the unexpected and never say things could get worse or they will. In other news, I also just learned that I've been accepted into the MBA program at BYU. If all goes as planned I will start classes this fall. Orientation begins only 3 days after I get home from this trip in Kenya, let's hope there isn't another volcanic eruption!

2 comments:

  1. congrats on the MBA acceptance!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, starting off your trip with a bang! CONGRATS on getting into the program!!! That's awesome :)

    ReplyDelete