Friday, April 30, 2010

When It Rains, It Pours

I mean that literally. I came to Kenya just in time for the rainy season. It's been pouring every morning and most nights the last week. It's awesome. It nearly floods the city in minutes and then it's dry by noon. I had an interesting conversation with Omar and Juma about it. I told them how much I liked the rain because it was warm. They were surprised to hear that rain would be cold. And then their curiosity turned to snow. They asked: When does it snow? How often? Would someone like me survive in snow, do you think? I suggested a large coat.

I had some mini Cadbury eggs from Easter that I brought with me. I decided to take them in and share. Juma hesitantly held out his hand as I poured a couple out for him to taste. He pulled a face and said "They look like a bird's eggs." I told him that was the point and assured him it was chocolate inside. Did not get raving reviews. But they loved the goldfish I later gave them. They were skeptical from the eggs and asked what it was made of before they'd take one. Then they took one (1) single goldfish to try and asked how they eat it. It didn't take long before they both stuck their hand in for a pile of them. I later told them about Easter eggs. As I sat explaining that we color eggs and hide them in the yard for kids to find, I kept thinking how strange we are.

So, I got crazy sick this week. I went to bed just fine and then woke up between 12 and 12:30am and spent the next 4 hours throwing-up. I don't remember the last time I was that violently sick. I needed to meet with the CEO the next day (Thurs) and there was a staff meeting at 1 so I got up and forced myself to work. It was awful. Mama Rose kept trying to send me home and accused me of being too stubborn. Later I found out that Mama Rose came into work when she had Malaria. I felt bad for complaining about my stomach after that. Anyway, I made it through the day but didn't eat much for 2 days. Aaron and Andi both had similar stomach aches so we wonder if it was something we passed around. I just hope it doesn't come back.

These women are Yehu members. I snapped these when we went with a Credit Officer to some Center meetings while Andi's parents were in town. They were great to let me go along.



The first pic below is at church with Mwembe/Faith (bottom) and Anita (left). Anita is a friend from work that Andi & Aaron invited to church. She came the week we watched conference and really loved it.

The centipedes here are crazy. I saw this one at the Coast Coconut Farms but they're all over. Creepy yet fascinating all at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment