Friday, April 23, 2010

Christmas in Kenya

My luggage has arrived! I picked it up yesterday from the airport. It was Christmas morning in the apartment as I opened my two bags and discovered everything I had packed for the trip. Never have I been more excited over shampoo and clothes and shoes, oh my!

Andi was nice enough to go with me to pick up the bags. We tried to beat traffic and made good time but we still hit rush hour. We were sitting in a hot matatu and the driver pulled off the side of the road to drive around the cars. When he ran out of room on the side of the road he pulled through the cars into oncoming traffic. The crazy thing is I was so glad to be moving I didn't care that cars and trucks were headed straight for us. On top of that we had to switch to a motorbike. Both of us had to climb onto the back of a bike in skirts and oh how everyone stared as these two mzungu (white) girls tried to maintain some dignity, and modesty, while getting on. Anyway, it was all worth it to get my clothes.

So, here's your swahili lesson for the day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR7pBKJJ98Q&NR=1 You only have to watch the first 15 seconds of it. Rafiki, which means friend (guess that's two lessons), sings "Asante sana squashed banana." Asante sana means thank you very much. So, now you know. Stay tuned for next week's lesson.

3 comments:

  1. I'm always excited for shampoo and shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I'm happy you got your things!! and Congrats about school! Thats awesome!! Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha thanks for the language lesson :) HOORAY for getting your stuff!! I have such a great mental picture of you and Andi trying to ride a motorbike in skirts. :) Love you girls!

    ReplyDelete