Friday, May 21, 2010

And the ants came marching in

Have I mentioned our ants? I had a mug of passion fruit juice the other day and after finishing it I set my empty mug on the table while I worked on my computer for a bit. Within 2 minutes an ant had discovered this sugary paradise. Within 3 minutes there were 10. Within 5 minutes there were countless ants swarming both the inside and outside of my mug. It grossed me out and captured my fascination all at the same time. I was tempted to start over and do some time lapse pictures. I couldn't bring myself to do it. But this is a regular occurrence. A drop of yogurt, a crust of bread, a piece of gum. If you leave it, they will come. Since I've been here, we've had lines of marching ants across our table, to our sink and, of course, all over our pantry. These little warriors have claimed many a bag of cereal and sugar in the history of this house. So, it's a routine of cleaning, sealing and 'Doom'ing (Doom may be the world's greatest bug spray I've ever seen) these little neighbors of ours.

1 comment:

  1. At my old house we really used those round little ant traps a LOT. Finally just called an exterminator...wouldn't ya know the neighbors downstairs were not cleaning too well! I am sorry...those buggers are kinda creepy!!

    ReplyDelete