Monday, May 17, 2010

Is it a weave?

I pulled out the blow dryer this week, the first time since I've arrived. The thought of blowing hot air anywhere near me sounds like torture but I decided it was about time I actually did something with my hair. Doing my hair most days involves two bobby pins and an elastic, and they've done me well. With the blow dryer I somewhat styled my bangs but still pulled up the back into a ponytail...much too hot to leave it down. I felt that was a good compromise.

Sylvia came into the office later that day, looked at me and asked if it was a weave. It took me a second to realize she was asking about my hair. I couldn't help laughing. You have to understand that at least half of the women here own and frequently wear a weave. The other half just braid their hair. Omar and Sylvia both nodded approvingly of my new 'do. After I finally convinced them it was my own hair, they asked if I had done it myself. I sure hope I didn't pay money for the wimpy mane I was sporting that day. But they were quite impressed and told me I should do it professionally. Ha! Maybe I should quit my day job?

No comments:

Post a Comment