Monday, May 10, 2010

Just a Spoonful of Sugar, My Eye

I was just thinking two nights ago how the adjustment down here has been surprisingly easy and just how much I'm loving Kenya. I love the people in the office, I love the members in the branch, I love that it's the rainy season, I love our apartment, I love the call to prayer throughout the day and even the morning (sincerely, I do), I love my commute to work, I love mahambri for breakfast, I love the Kenya sky, I love the sounds of the birds outside my window at work. Do I sound a little like Mary Poppins? I think even she would have been impressed with my high spirits.

Then I woke up this morning.

I hate the humidity, I hate the power outages that rob me of my blessed fan, I hate mosquitoes that wake me up at all times of the night leaving me itchy and scarred, I hate that my mosquito net doesn't work, I hate the hot walk to the bus stop, I hate clothes that don't fit, I hate washing my clothes in the sink, I hate long commutes home, I hate that it gets dark at 6:30 every single night I hate that my project is moving slowly, I hate squeezing into the back of a matatu, I hate running out of water, I hate unreliable internet, I hate beans.

1 comment:

  1. Well I love you and I love that you are mostly having fun...

    ...but I HATE THIS DARN SNOW! So you could have snow right now instead. Yes--SNOW this morning when we woke up.

    PS. I hate beans too!

    ReplyDelete