Friday, May 21, 2010

Life is a highway

Just hope your life doesn't turn onto the Nairobi Highway. This stretch of road is notoriously long, crowded and bumpy. I got to experience a mere 1 1/2 hour stretch of this highway a couple of weeks ago (May 21st, I think). I went with Omar to the Samburu Branch. It's just outside Mombasa on the way to Nairobi. We caught a 'mat' in Mombasa at 8am and were there by 9:30am. I can't say enough how pretty this country is. I loved the drive past small towns and especially through the rolling hills of green landscape and bright red roads.

I met with all the credit officers and clerks of the Samburu Branch which took up the entire morning. We took a break for lunch and went to a 'cafe' in town. After we ordered our food, the others got up to go wash their hands. I started walking with them but when I saw they were lined up to dip their hands in a bucket of water I did an about face to go find my hand sanitizer instead. Everyone (workers and patrons alike) washes their hands in this bucket of water. No soap. They dip in their hands and then just shake off the water. I have accepted a gross amount of dirt and filth since coming down here but I could not bring myself to join them.


I ate my lunch of Pilau (a rice dish) and managed to not think about who prepared it and how. There was a piece of meat on the bone which had clearly been broken instead of cut as there were jagged edges and shards of the bone in my meal. I generously offered my meat to Omar who was surprised and pleased with my offer.


The woman above came into the office while I was there. She had the cutest baby and I got to see both how they change their babies and how they tie them to their backs. Can I just say how glad I am for disposable diapers and strollers!

No comments:

Post a Comment