Sunday, June 20, 2010

Eat Dessert First


Yesterday we had a Relief Society activity. I was asked to teach the sisters how to make some American desserts. I went with the classics, Banana Bread and Apple Crisp. The plan was to meet at the church at 10am. At 9am I packed up a ridiculous amount of dishes and ingredients and made my trek to Changamwe. This consists of two matatu rides and a mile walk. Caroline calls me at 10:20 to tell me that they decided to move it to her house but not to worry because she was sending someone to pick me up. An hour later 5 more women showed up to her house. Then we all waited another hour while they finished fixing the oven.

During the wait, we had a great time chatting and watching funniest home videos and part of a random Nigerian film. During one segment of home videos with various people falling and/or doing stupid stunts, Caroline turns to me and says "Americans are funny." She didn't mean we were witty, she meant we do crazy things that they don't understand. I had no defense.

We finally made the bread and apple crisp. Both were a big hit. After we all ate our share of dessert Caroline pulled out a huge pot of rice and another of beans. Lunch! We were so full already but what can you do. Overall it was a great activity.


I sure do love these women!



1 comment:

  1. Glad they turned out. Sounds like a fun time and I love the pictures...

    ReplyDelete