Thursday, June 24, 2010

The World Cup 2010!

I realize that the World Cup is well under way and this entry is somewhat belated. Everywhere I go there is talk about who was defeated the night before and what matches are lined up for the coming days. I hopped in a matatu after church on Sunday to have the man next to me comment that it must be such a sad day to be an American. We had recently lost a match and he felt quite badly for us. Sadly I have no television to tune in to all of the excitement but I peek over the shoulders of people reading the newspaper, which is all World Cup these days, and I'm constantly listening for updates at work or in the matatus.

For several weeks now the sounds of Shakira and K'naan (below) can be heard everywhere you go. And I mean everywhere. Just last night I heard the 4 year old upstairs singing "Wavin Flag" as they were eating dinner. I love love love "Wavin Flag." I'm not ashamed to admit that I get emotional when I listen to it.

But today Juma greeted me with a head hung low. He informed me that it seems as if not a single African team will make it past the first round of the World Cup. Hosting the event is now like salt on an open wound of defeat. Still, it doesn't seem to stop the crowds from gathering around small 13" TVs at cafes and hotels around the city to watch every last minute of it.




No comments:

Post a Comment