Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Mahambri - A Bite O' Heaven


I may have mentioned mahambri in passing but I just can't fully express how divine these things are. They're essentially scones but so much better. Now, I've always liked scones so the fact that someone discovered a way to make them taste even better just blows my mind.

Everyone here just buys them from street vendors and most mornings Mama Rose brings an extra one for me, it is the highlight of my morning. Omar and Juma soon discovered how much I love them. They sometimes offer me other things that they bring in to eat which I kindly turn down. But they know that when they pull out the mahambri I just can't say no.

Mama Rose made some over the weekend so I asked her to tell me the secret to making them. I already knew they added some sugar to the dough but I also learned that they also add coconut milk (of course!) and you have to have just the right balance of baking soda and yeast. Priority #1 when I get home is to figure out how to make these things on my own! During this discussion Omar came in and teased that I could eat 100 mahambri if they let me. The truth is, I totally could! Needless to say, it's a good thing I walk so much after all these mahambri!

2 comments:

  1. will Mama Rose let you come over for a cooking session?? I would love a recipe to give to Casey-since he is the one who cooks breads at my house!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should make some for anybody named Scott when you get back. That's a fair agreement.

    I'll call up Scottie Pippen, Sir Walter Scott, and Mary Queen of Scots to spread the word.

    ReplyDelete