Friday, June 25, 2010

Fast Food, Patience & the Beach

When I arrived I was given some advice. I was told to take pictures of everything that seemed strange to me because after a while they wouldn't seem so strange. Sure enough, I got used to things. I thought of that advice this week when my lunch arrived. In little black bags. This is how our lunch arrives each day. It seemed so strange when I got here to rip open the bags and pour out my lunch. But these days it's just business, er lunch, as usual. And so I give you Kenyan fast food...



Speaking of fast, Kenyans just aren't. Nor are they even on time. I've made several appointments where I rushed to be on time only to find myself waiting. And waiting some more. One time I was told the person would be there in 3 minutes. Later I learned that you add ten minutes for every one that they tell you to wait. Sure enough, it took them 30 minutes to arrive. And if it's church related, it's even worse. Mormon Standard Time + Kenyan Standard Time=Don't hold your breath. Just yesterday Judy and I went to Nyali beach. The plan was to meet at 10. Yeah, we finally made it there around 11:30.

Anyway, it was amazing. The beach is only a 20 minute walk from my apartment and this is the view. I really am living in paradise.



Judy and I had so much fun. She doesn't know how to swim and asked me to teach her. Since I never really took swimming lessons it was more like the blind leading the blind. But apparently her definition of a good swimmer is someone who can keep their head above water. That I can do. So, I decided to teach her the reliable back float. I figured I couldn't really lead her that far astray with a back float. This attracted three other girls who insisted we teach them too. Then a group of 10 boys came with their soccer ball and we had our own world cup at sea. Then we packed up and rushed home to change so we could still make it to institute. Overall it was a great day, even if it started late.






Please don't judge the hair. It's windy and I've just been swimming in the ocean :)

1 comment:

  1. Those lunch bags definitely makes it look delicious.

    ReplyDelete