Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Sniffles

I think I'm getting sick (she says with a somewhat stuffy nose). Brenton had a pretty bad cold the last 4 days he was here and proceeded to pass it on to his fellow colleagues at Choice Humanitarian. I thought I had sidestepped the illness until my throat started hurting last night. Today it's the sniffles. Not sure what tomorrow will be.

The weeks are beginning to fly by like days and the days like weeks. Brenton left on Tuesday so I now have the place to myself. Another intern is supposed to be coming in July and I'll be glad for the company again. Judy (from the branch) came over on Friday. We picked up some Indian food on the way and watched Ocean's Eleven on my itsy netbook. Not exactly a scintillating Friday night but we had fun.

This last Thursday was the monthly Branch Manager meeting at the head office. The six BMs come for a full day of what I assume to be reporting and coaching. Once a month the whole office goes crazy in preparation for the meeting and keeping it running throughout the day. BUT this is the day that I get milk in my hot chocolate and a plate of mahambri (scones). I'm not exactly sure why their meeting results in a round of mahambri for the whole office but I'm not complaining. The office assistant's son has been sick with maleria so they were short handed on an already busy day. As a result I got to help carry several thermoses of tea, collect empty glasses and later serve lunch. Did I mention that the meeting was on the third floor?? It was perfect, by the time I ran up and down the stairs all day I had worked off all the extra mahambri I had eaten.


On Friday everyone was quite excited for the World Cup. Since the anticipation was a bit distracting, I thought it was a good excuse to try to get Omar to organize the office where we work. I would make Juma help but 1. his desk is clean and 2. he wasn't in the office on Friday. So, I had Omar move all his papers from his desk and separate them into four piles: Do now, Do later, Trash and File. I think I have found my new calling in life, professional organizer. We ran out of time before he could get through his stacks but he threw away at least one ream's worth of old papers. He kept shaking his head at the amount of junk he had kept. I may not have done much on the project on Friday but I'd say it was still a successful day.

President Taylor, the mission president, came to church today for branch conference and to reorganize the branch presidency. The Changamwe branch was organized just 1 1/2 years ago. President Kenneth, who was just released, is an incredible leader. He has been a member for nearly 20 years. A few years ago his work transferred him to Mombasa when there were no other members and he was still single. He traveled to Nairobi every weekend for church (about a 6-7 hour drive each way). Because of his missionary work there are now three branches in the Mombasa area. His first counselor is the new branch president. During the sustainings there were a couple of people that raised their hand to oppose. It was a unique meeting and for most of the members it was the first time to attend a branch conference and/or have any of their leaders released. I'm constantly made aware of how much I take for granted back home. The branch is strong and I know they'll adjust.

So, there goes another week.

No comments:

Post a Comment